Saturday, July 11, 2009

I hate to admit it...

On Friday, June 26, 2009 I wrote a blog entry entitled "The King of Pop is dead... who cares". Since then, despite my efforts to thwart off the urge, I have become a Michael Jackson Fan, well, at least a fan of his musics. Leading me down this road, I must give credit to my co-worker at howies hockey tape Mr. David Visser. His repeated playings of MJ's songs - "Black or White", "Will you be there" (theme song from Free Willy) and "Thriller" slowly broke me down to the place that I am today: A fan of Michael Jackson. So now I say, the King of Pop is dead, it is a sad day for fans of Music everywhere.

In other news my beautiful girlfriend Megan came and visited me this weekend. Last night we went to dinner at a Japanese steakhouse. I have never been to a Japanese steakhouse before but thoroughly enjoyed my experience. After, we went to watch a movie. Being that neither Megan or I are huge movie goers, we went without knowing what was even showing. After a "discussion process" we decided on the newly released comedy "Whatever Works" directed by Woody Allen. The movie at times was funny, witty, and at other times extremely bizarre. Overall the message was horrible (the message was - "whatever works" in your life) and portrayed Christians in a bad light. Despite they negative aspects of the movie, both Megan and I enjoyed our time and our evening together.

Barack Obama visited Africa today, specifically Ghana. Ghana is located on the eastern side of Africa next to Togo. Touting the fact that his father came from Kenya, he is urging the countries of Africa to move forward in their development, politically, economic and socially. "You can conquer disease, end conflicts and make change from the bottom up," Obama said. "You can do that. Yes you can. Because in this moment, history is on the move." It will be interesting if Obama is able to using his popularity world wide and specifically in Africa to bring rival tribes and country's together and move toward a more economically and socially stable continent. Only time will tell, but you have to hope that for the sake of the people of Africa good will come out of his visit.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I have ever read a single blog posts that covers pop culture, relationships, movie reviews and international politics. Congratulations on being the first!

    ReplyDelete